First week of data is in on the integration of AdMob ads into Traceroute. As I previously wrote about my frustration with the fill rate with iAds, I decided to leverage AdMob ads when iAds fail to populate(why and how).
The fill rate has increased substantially as I am now nearing 80% fill rate on all ad requests, where previously with iAds alone the fill rate was below 10%. At first glance this would seem like a win, but then I took a look at the revenue and eCPM for my now blossoming ad views, and my jaw dropped. I had become accustomed to eCPM of $2-5 dollars on iAds but in AdMob, I am getting pennies.
It has only been a week so far, so I will continue to watch as more impressions come in to see if the eCPM improves, but so far for a niche app like Traceroute with ~1000 requests a day, AdMob doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of presenting ads to my users.
Looking around AdWhirl peeked my curiosity and I plan on looking into that further during free time over the holiday to see if I will get better results from integrating more ad networks into Traceroute.